The 2018 TBR Pile Challenge
I have been seeing this for sometime among other bookish bloggers; but not till now have I been even remotely interested in participating it. This was not because it was not an absolutely marvelous challenge, but simply because, I lacked the discipline of stick-to-itivness! So I never tried; however recently, while trying to refer to a book in my Kindle Library, I realized in terms of E Books, I have way more than I can ever manage. This is of course, not taking into account the hard copies of books lying all over my apartment and the recent discussion with my roommate to buy yet another book shelf. I have way too many books! And while I know for a fact that I will keep buying books and I will forever have a TBR that is never-ending, I need to make some efforts for those books, already bought and sitting forever on my shelves. Hence, in an effort to inculcate a bit more of the stick-to-itivness, I hereby agree to participate in Adam’s much appreciate The Official 2018 TBR Pile Challenge!
The Goals and Rules, directly from Adam’s blog go something like this –
The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your “to be read” pile (within 12 months).
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2017 or later (any book published in the year 2016 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.
2. To be eligible, you must sign-up with the Mr. Linky below. Link to your list (so create it ahead of time!) and add updated links to each book’s review. Books must be read and must be reviewed (doesn’t have to be too fancy) in order to count as completed.
3. The link you post in the Mr. Linky below must be to your “master list” (see mine below). This is where you will keep track of your books completed, crossing them out and/or dating them as you go along, and updating the list with the links to each review
4. Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published before 2017!
Therefore, without much further ado, I present, the 12 books with 2 alternates that have been sitting in my TBR FOREVER!
- Kathasaritasagar by Somadeva
- A Room of Her Own by Virginia Woolf
- The March of Folly by Barbara W Tuchman
- Death Comes to the Archbishop by Willa Cather
- Clarissa or The History of a Young Lady by Samuel Richardson
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
- I Claudius by Robert Graves
- Ashenden by Somerset Maugham
- The End of History and The Last Man by Francis Fukyama
- As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
Potential Alternates –
- The Expedition of Humphry Clinker by Tobias Smollett
- New York by Edward Rutherford
That’s the list. I have tried to be eclectic so that I can sustain my interest. They remain in no random order, though I will probably start with Kathasaritasagar and then we will see how things flow!