The Much Awaited Spin…
I have really been missing the Classic Club Spins and as they say, ask and you shall receive! Lo! Behold I open wordpress and guess what? There is an update from Classic Club page, inviting everyone for Spin#10! Needless to say I will be joining the Spin and the more interesting experiences of my last Spin reading will not stop me. (Ahem! Ahem! Kate Chopin’s The Awakening was …well something else!). Anyway, the way forward is to march on and I do.
The rules for the Spin remain same and simple; I quote directly from Classic Club’s post –
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, they will announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by October 23, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading!
And now for the list – drumroll please –
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
- A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
- To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
- The Wings of a Dove by Henry James
- The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing
- Love in the Times of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
- Death Comes to the Archbishop by Willa Cather
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee
- Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
- Doll’s House by Henrick Ibsen
- Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
- Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
- The Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope
- The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
- The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
- Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare
- The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
- Queen Lucia by E F Benson
That’s the list…some old, some new, some I would love, some I am anxious about! Nevertheless, now that the die had been cast (allow me the drama…it’s the weekend!!), can Monday be far behind? (I know that is really bad! But it is the weekend! And everyone knows I lose my marbles during the weekend!)