New Year and New Spins….
There is something called the self-fulfilling prophecy…these days I am becoming a staunch, absolutely staunch adherent to this thing. If you wish it, it will happen! I share with you a simple illustrative example – just last night, I was thinking it’s been ages since I participated in the Classic Club Spin read; after all this event is a good way to get me to read some of the stuff I dread! And lo! Behold! The first thing I see this morning when I open my system is that Classic Club is announcing their Spin#9. There is naturally no question of “not participating”.
The Spin rules are as always simple –
- Pick 20 Classics of your choice
- On Monday, i.e. April 6th, the Club will pick a number
- You read the book that you have marked against the number by May 15th
And now for the list. In the spirit of things, I decided to make the list a little more challenging and listed 20 books I really kind of nervous taking up.
- To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin
- Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee
- The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
- Daisy Miller by Henry James
- Washington Square by Henry James
- The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
- Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
- Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
- A Room with a View by M Forster
- Howard’s End by M Forster
- The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
- The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
- The House of Seven Gables by Nathanie Hawthorne
- Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham
- A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márque
- Windsor Castle by William Harrison Ainsworth
- The Last Days of Pompeii by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
That’s the list! And Now I sit, biting my nails till April 6th!!!