Just when I thought, my reading plans toppleth over, Classic Club decides to launch its last spin for the year….now how can I give that up???!!! Not that I do not have enough in my to-read list, I have now added one more. However going by my earlier post resolution, I have included only the books I really want to read/re-read! (It’s Christmas and I am allowed indulgence – so no books that I don’t want to read or books I am dreading reading and all that!) This is keeping in spirit with my December reading plan of I-Will-not-finish-the-year-without-finishing-these-books-self-event.
The rules are as always simple and I quote verbatim from the site page –
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.) (Like I said…I am kind of cheating on this one and reading only authors I want to read!!!!!)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, Classic Club will announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books and select the book that corresponds to the number announced.
- The challenge is to read that book by January 5, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
Here goeth my list –
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
- To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
- Can You Forgive Her? By Anthony Trollope
- Wives and Daughter by Elizabeth Gaskell
- Nineteen Eighty Four – George Orwell
- The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare
- Love In The Time Of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- Hamlet – William Shakespeare Hamlet by William Shakespeare
- A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh
- My Antonia by Willa Carther
- A Room with a View by E.M.Forster
- A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul
- Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
- Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
- The Beautiful and the Dammed by F.Scott Fitzgerald
- The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
- The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope
Phew! Finally!! There goes my list. I know I have repeated a few authors, but I can safely say, that I have not any of these works, so at least I strive in a new direction!!